Friday, April 08, 2005

Brewers 6 Cubs 3

Well, the Cubs lost today, and I can't say they didn't deserve it. Just about everything that could go wrong for the team did. Less than 6 innings from your starting pitcher? Check. Stranding runners in scoring position? Check. Inability to generate offense against a mediocre (at best) pitcher? Check. Blown save? Check. Bad defense? Check. Lot's of walks for the opposition? Check. Lot's of strikeouts from the Cubs? Check.

Wow, it looks even worse to lay it all out like that. I still can't get myself worked up over this, though. Part of it is, I look at this team, and it's really not that different on the field from last year's version. I mean, Sammy and Moises may have changed the clubhouse, but so far, this is still the guts of a team last year that couldn't seem to score without homeruns, couldn't executed basic fundamental plays, and had a bullpen who's pitchers were a bad mix of inexperience and ineffectiveness. So, I can't say that this is totally unexpected. I don't expect the team to stay this bad though, eventually, the starting pitching will right itself, and hopefully, a solution will be found at closer. Otherwise, 2005 may end up looking a lot like 2004.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home