Saturday, March 26, 2005

If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes...

...I would not have believed it. When Illinois took a 2 point lead into half time, I actually thought they were in good shape. After all, I figured they'd tighten up the defense, and there's no way Arizona would keep shooting 62% from the field. But the Illini came out and played the worst half of basketball I've seen from them all season, and when James Augustine fouled out with 4 minutes left and the team down 15, I was looking for something heavy to put through the picture tube. Luckily I didn't though, as I would have missed one of the greatest comebacks ever. Dee Brown, Luther Head, and Deron Williams finally decided they were going to take over the game. They stormed back with a series of steals and three pointers that allowed them to tie the game near the end of regulation, and a Luther Head block of a Salim Stoudamire shot sent the game to overtime. The teams went back and forth in OT, but it ended when Hassan Adams wild three pointer missed the mark as time expired, and Illinois had won 90-89, to secure their first Final Four appearance since 1989.

I'd have to say I was right about a couple of things in this game. Illinois effectively shut down Salim Stoudamire, he scored 9 points on 2-13 shooting and hit only 1 three pointer. But Channing Frye decided to come to play today, pouring in 24, and Hassan Adams decided to be "the unheralded hack who torches Illinois", hitting for 21. I was a little puzzled by Lute Olson's play at the end of overtime. I don't care how hot Adams may be, and how cold Stoudamire may be, when you need a shot to win the game in overtime, you have to give the ball to your best player, and that's Stoudamire. Olson didn't, and it may have cost his team the victory.

The first game of the day was no slouch either. Louisville erased a 20 point first half deficit, and managed to pull out a victory against West Virginia, who had been absolutely fabulous from behind the arc in the first half. It's too bad for West Virginia, who was a great story, and as well as they played, I'd much rather have had Illinois face them in the semi-final than Louisville. Now two teams that have made terrific comebacks will be facing off next week in St. Louis.

Here's hoping that tomorrow's games are just as exciting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home