Thursday, March 03, 2005

Bad Days

It's been a bad couple of days for the Cub faithful. First Ron Santo comes up 8 votes short of being elected to the Hall of Fame. Cap that off with Nomar Garciaparra leaving today's spring training game after being hit in the wrist with a pitch and we're all just a little tired. My main worry is Nomar. The Cubs have taken somewhat of a gamble in that Nomar has a history of injuries, and right now he's the one player on this team that the Cubs cannot afford to lose for an extended period of time. While the starters are important, the team can get by with an injury to one of them (last year we almost made the playoffs with Prior and Wood missing major time), while the bullpen isn't deep, anybody brought in as a replacement wouldn't be a significant downgrade from what's out there already. The outfield is still a question mark, but face it, it's not that hard to trade for a productive outfielder (and I still think that a deal may be in the offing). But the Cubs will simply not be able to find another shortstop who can hit 3rd in the order (unless Tejeda comes back as a PTBNL in the Sosa deal). So, I'm lighting a candle for Nomar tonight.

As for Santo, I can't say that I didn't see this coming. He hadn't gotten into the HOF yet, so I saw no real reason to expect it, especially given the attitude of those on the Veteran's Committee. The interesting thing is that Santo picked up 7 votes from the last time out. How did this happen? Santo hasn't picked up a bat in that time, why did several Committee members suddenly change their minds about him? The whole thing is nuts. I guess there's still hope for Ron to get in, after all he'll have Sandberg's vote next time, and I'd bet that Wade Boggs, who knows how tough it is to play the hot corner, votes for him too. Then all we need are well timed "accidents" to happen to certain Committee members *coughSchmidtcough*. Ronnie's Italian, you'd think he could arrange this. Santo says next time he won't be home waiting by the phone for the Hall to call, that they'll have to find him on the golf course. I don't believe that for a second, but sometimes I wish he'd take Harry Caray's approach and tell those bastards "if you don't put me in while I'm alive, don't bother after I'm dead".

3 Comments:

Blogger CT said...

Yes, an injury to Aramis would be bad, but I'm taking into consideration that Ramirez has never had a major injury, and that he's been able to play through the minor ones.

10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mortgage articles for refinance mortgage home loans

10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home