Wednesday, February 02, 2005

First Post

Well, I finally got off my ass and started a blog, so that I don't have to spray my thoughts all over the net in other people's comments sections. This blog is going to deal mostly with the Cubs, but I'll get into other Chicago sports, and probably some (gasp!) politics.

And so on to the Cubs. It's only a coincidence that this first post goes up the day that the Sammy Sosa trade will be finalized (supposedly around 2pm). Of course, shortly after that announcement, we are expecting the Jeromy Burnitz era to begin. I'm a little torn on the Burnitz signing...on one hand, I don't think Burnitz is all that bad. If he goes for 30 HRs and 90 RBIs, and plays fundamentally sound baseball, he'll be an upgrade over Sammy's last few years. However, I just don't see him being that much better than what we already have, and I don't understand why the Cubs would pay him $5MM. Pittsburgh was rumored to have offered $4MM, and Burnitz made it obvious he preferred Chicago, so why in the hell would they pay MORE than the Pirates offered? Well, I guess Hendry has earned the benefit of the doubt on this one, considering that most of his aquisitions have panned out to date.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home